Washington Navy Yard gate hours of operation
6th Street: 5:30 a.m. – 6 p.m.
9th Street: Closed
N Street: 5:30 a.m. - 9 a.m.
O Street: Open 24 hours a day, seven days a week
Identification documents authorized to facilitate physical access to installations include:
- The DoD CAC
- DoD Uniformed Services Identification and Privileges Cards
- USG-issued, authenticated
- Federal PIV credentials
To access pedestrian turnstiles at NSAW installations, users must also establish a two-factor authentication pin in addition to these authorized identification documents by visiting or calling the Visitor Control Center at (202) 433-3738.
The following pedestrian turnstiles are located at the Washington Navy Yard:
- Tingey St. North Turnstile
- O St. Back Booth Turnstile
- 9th St. Turnstile
- N St. Turnstile
- Riverwalk: three turnstiles
At NSF Arlington, there are two pedestrian turnstiles:
- NSF Arlington Main Gate
- Lower Lot Turnstile
An additional pedestrian turnstile is located at the Naval Observatory at Main Gate on Wisconsin Ave.
If a person is not in possession of one of the above credentials then DTM 09-12 defines two types of access:
- Unescorted individuals. All unescorted persons entering DoD installations must have a valid purpose to enter, have their identity proofed and vetted, and be issued, or in possession of, an authorized and valid access credential.
- Escorted individuals. Escorts may be conducted by military or federal employees. Contractors and other personnel are not authorized to escort personnel.
Non-federal government and non- DoD-issued card holders who are provided unescorted access require identity proofing and vetting to determine fitness and eligibility for access. Installation government representatives shall query the following government authoritative data sources to vet the claimed identity and to determine fitness, using biographical information including, but not limited to, the person’s name, date of birth, and social security number:
- The National Crime Information Center database.
- The Terrorist Screening Database.
More information is available by calling the Washington Navy Yard Visitor Access Center at (202) 433-3738/0025/or 3017.
All visitors that require proofing/vetting are required to complete the SECNAV Form 5512/1 which can be downloaded below. In order to facilitate quicker access into the installation, please download, complete and bring the following form with you the day of your visit.