An official website of the United States government
Here's how you know
A .mil website belongs to an official U.S. Department of Defense organization in the United States.
A lock (lock ) or https:// means you’ve safely connected to the .mil website. Share sensitive information only on official, secure websites.




Region Naval District Washington

Funeral Honors

Help Page for Funeral Directors

If the funeral will be taking place in one of the following areas:


Step 1: Verify the location of the ceremony:

A. Washington D.C. 

B. Virginia

City of Alexandria

City of Fredericksburg

City of Winchester

Alington County

Caroline County

Stafford County

Fairfax County

King George County

Prince William County

Fauquier County

Loudoun County

Westmoreland County

Spotsylvania County

C. Maryland

Anne Arundel County

Baltimore County

Baltimore City

Carroll County

Charles County

Frederick County

Harford County

Howard County

Montgomery County

Prince George's County

St. Mary's County

Talbot County

Step 2:   If the honors are for one of the areas above, please complete this Honors Request:

U.S. Navy Funeral Honors Request

Step 3:   Please email the Honors Request to:

Note 1: Make sure to add the proof of service with the request.  See guidelines below.

Note 2: To confirm the request has been received you will get an email with confirmation.

Note 3: For honors in other areas, please click the link below.

Note 4. For information about qualifying for US Navy honors, the flag, etc. please see below.


About Funeral Honors Requests and Guidelines:

  1. Military Funeral Honors consists of two or more members of the armed service, one from the parent service, playing Taps, folding and presenting the American flag to the veteran’s family.

  2. To request Funeral Honors, please complete a Funeral Honors Request Form and submit it along with a legible copy of a DD-214 or proof of honorable service to the associated office location listed below.

  3. Please allow 48 hours advance notice to process requests.  Contact the associated office directly if the request is within 24 hours or after normal business hours. 

  4. Requests must be sent via e-mail.

  5. Burial flags must be provided by the requester. Please provide the burial flag.  It is FREE OF CHARGE, and can be picked up at most post offices.  Call and confirm with the post office in advance.  You will need to take a copy of the discharge document, a copy of the death certificate, and the Application for United States Flag for Burial Purposes. 

  6. Visit our Helpful Links page for information on requesting veteran records and burial flags. 

  7. Provide the actual time of the ceremony. The Funeral Honors Team will arrive 45 minutes before that time. Email back with further information if needed about any changes.

  8. Funeral Honors will only be rendered once per eligible veteran.

  • How do I establish veteran eligibility?

The preferred method is to provide the member's DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty. If the DD Form 214 is not available, any discharge document showing honorable service can be used. The DD Form 214 and records of service may be obtained through the National Archives at or 314-801-0800. Burial records many also be requested by faxing the NPRC records request form to 314-801-0764.

Eligibility Criteria

Who is eligible for Military Funeral Honors?

  1. Military members who died while on active duty or in the Selected Reserve   

  2. Former military members who served on active duty or in the Selected Reserve and were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions   

  3. Former military members who completed at least one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service in the Selected Reserve and were discharged under other than dishonorable conditions

  4. Military Records Request for Burial Benefits


  • Who is NOT eligible for Military Funeral Honors?


  1. Any person separated from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions or whose character of service results in a bar to veteran's benefits   

  2. Any person who was ordered to report to an induction station, but was not actually inducted into military service   

  3. Any person discharged from the Selected Reserve prior to completing one term of enlistment or period of initial obligated service for reasons other than a disability incurred or aggravated in the line of duty   

  4. Any person convicted of a Federal capital crime and whose conviction is final (other than a person whose sentence was commuted by the President)   

  5. Any person who has been convicted of a State capital crime and whose conviction is final (other than a person whose sentence was commuted by the Governor of a State)   

  6. Any person who

    1. is found to have committed a Federal capital crime or a State capital crime, as set forth in section 2411(c) of title 38, but,

    2. has not been convicted of such crime by reason of such person not being available for trial due to death or flight to avoid prosecution


Note 5. For additional information, please visit the Eligibility tab on the DoD Military Funeral Honors website.

Note 6. Funeral Honors Helpful Links, VA Benefits, Cemeteries and other Military services listed here:


Note 7. Flyovers, flyovers only. For those who qualified as Aviators, please call:   (757) 836-2704

Google Translate Disclaimer

Naval District Washington   |   1411 Parsons Ave SE Suite 200   |   Washington DC, 20374-5001
Official U.S. Navy Website